Today’s security tip of the week, we will discuss on securing personal information when you do any business online. Before we proceed, here is the list of few online transactions we carried out in our day-to-day life:
- Buying any products from eCommerce website.
- Selling any products on auction website.
- Generating credit reports.
- Filing e-returns.
Doing any type of transaction using personal information like social security number, credit card details or other sensitive data.
When you do any online transaction, we strongly recommended checking for:
- Check whether the website is secure by SSL certificate on not! You can check it by reviewing padlock, HTTPS in browsers. The website using EV SSL will show additional green bar in a browser that shows extended validation of the business.
- Also check whether the page where you are providing your personal information has HTTPS in URL or not! (Login page, form submission page, payment information, fill in the blank page). Avoid providing information on non-secure page.
- Avoid providing important personal information on instant messaging, live support or by email.
As there are many hackers sends bulk emails asking for such sensitive data on behalf of financial institutes. There are many websites doing business online by collecting customer’s personal information that is not secure by SSL and may get hacked by man in middle attack. You can learn more about the importance of SSL certificate in our previous articles.
Make sure you take extra care while doing any online transaction with your sensitive data. If you have faced such problems or have any suggestions for our readers, you may feel free to share them with comments.
Have a great week-start!
Related Posts :