It is indispensable part of the web browsers to display errors. Among different types of common errors in the digital sphere, the error code SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER is a major one in Firefox.
Errors can be a real interruption and pose a terrible affect on the work flow. Knowing the in-depth meaning of the error code or the message is crucial to avoid any form of hindrance during the operations.
Errors can be mentally draining, especially when you are not aware of the exact meaning. It is uncommon to even stumble upon one from time to time. This article is an attempt in the same direction as it is going to highlight the intricacies of the SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER.
Let’s quickly dive in and understand this error message in detail.
An introduction to SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER:
The SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER is an error that is displayed to the user when the website in use does not offer a trustworthy SSL Certificate from a renowned SSL Certificate provider. The growth in ecommerce has raised the concerns of the users related to security increasing the significance of SSL Certificates obtained from a trusted SSL Certificate provider. In case, you are facing the SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER, it clearly implies that your SSL Certificate does not come from a reliable certificate authority (abbreviated as CA) as per Mozilla Firefox. This error is displayed as MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_MITM_DETECTED by the Firefox too.
This error occurs when the SSL Certificate is issued by an authority that is unknown to the web browser. When the connection is secure, the website has to submit a certificate that is issued by a reliable authority so as to provide the verification. This is a mandatory step on most of the browsers including Mozilla Firefox. The SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER error can also be interpreted as the error which the browser is not able to relate with a reliable CA on the basis of the details put forth by the ecommerce website browsed by you. It also means that the default connection is not trusted. The pre-agreed obligations for the certificate authorities are firm and should be practiced by them in all the situations. Any compromise is seen as a breach to the rules and results in strict measures. It should be ensured by the authorities that the certificate is fulfilling all the requisites and will not pose the problems in the future.
What are the reasons behind SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER error?
There are a set of reasons as to why the error code SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER is displayed to you. Some of them are as follows:
- Faulty antivirus software is the first reason SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER is displayed to you by Firefox. In order to resolve this, one can reinstall their antivirus software. Reliable Microsoft software should be put to use instead of the third party antivirus products.
- The unreliable self signed SSL Certificates can be another reason for the error. These certificates have almost zero reliability and therefore these are not trusted by Firefox.
- At times, the traffic monitoring and filtering tools utilized in the corporate spheres can intercept encrypted connections. This also involves placing their certificate instead of the original certificate of the website. In such cases, it displays errors even on secure HTTPS sites. These cases should not be ignored and one should get in touch with the IT branch in order to resolve the same.
- Due to the absence of the important intermediate, SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER is displayed to the users too.
Learn to fix SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER:
The error needs to be fixed as soon as it appears. Whether you own the website or you are a user of the website, you can fix this error. In case of a simple user of the website, you can take the case further and make a complaint with the owner of the site. It is not suggested that you mess with your settings. While doing so, it is possible that the most useful root CA certificate got erased from the root store. In such a case, you can erase and reset the settings and one can also install Firefox all over again. This is considered as the speediest way to resolve the error. This method is simple as well as time saving. If you are the owner of the website and you have to fix this error, you can make use of a universally reliable certificate authority issued SSL Certificate. The problem arising is mainly due to the faulty certificate; it should be the importance to fix it with a standard certificate. One can take the help of professionals or experts in the field to make use of proper certificates and resolve the issue.
Apart from the abovementioned, the SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER error can be resolved by running an antivirus scan. The virus can be identified through this process and if this virus is hindering with the operation, one can restart the system to fix the error.
Errors are the part and parcel of the browsing on the internet. All the users come across a number of errors every day. One such common error is the SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER error. It shows the presence of unreliable certificate authority which may lead to a further threat in the security of the users. As the SSL Certificates are really important because cybercriminals often exploit details such as usernames and passwords, private data such as names, residential addresses, date of birth and email address of the users and cause substantial losses to them. For being progressive in the market and ensuring security of your business at the same time, it is essential to make use of the present-day encryption technology into it. The SSL Certificate helps you in achieving strong rapport in the market and will attract the consumers towards the safer option being provided by you. Similarly, when the Firefox detects that the certificate is unreliable; it warns you with the error. One can follow the abovementioned steps to fix the same and work smoothly without any form of obstruction.
- HOW HASHING ALGORITHMS WORK
- ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED: SOLUTIONS TO RESOLVE THIS ERROR
- HOW PKI WORKS TOWARDS SECURING YOUR ORGANIZATION?
- STEPS TO RESOLVE THE ‘NET ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID’ ERROR IN GOOGLE CHROME
- HOW TO CLEAR HSTS SETTINGS IN CHROME AND FIREFOX BROWSERS
- TOP 6 BEST SSL CERTIFICATE PROVIDER [NEW LIST]